Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Embracing Style in the "Working World"


I happen to care about fashion, I care about makeup, I care about new hair conditioning treatments, and  how to get that sun-kissed skin glow... I might sound ditzy but these topics are my hobbies, as they are for MANY of you out there! So, what's a girly girl to do when she enters the work force, or the corporate world and pink is considered an optional color for a highlighter and nothing more? Are trends of black nail polish and hobo bags suppose to fly out the window so you can fit in with your new atmosphere? In my few years of post-graduate work experience, I find myself encountering these  little quams.

What I don't understand is why do some women feel that while they are crossing that bridge into "adulthood" they must throw cute skirts, fun eyeshadow, and sexy high heels overboard?! I'm half peruvian and maybe this suits the stereotype that latin women tend to be vain.  I can hear my mom saying "where's your makeup?" Everytime I would attempt to leave the house, in a rush to make class on time.  But, if this vanity does fit the stereotype... Well, then I don't consider this to be a bad thing :)

So, I did a little experiment. After having a small inner conflict with what my "look and style" is  versus what my "look and style" should be in a corporate atmosphere, I realized... When I'm not dressed in some kind of fashion that suits my style... I don't work as well.  I feel lazy, tired and not my bubbly self. And, who would want to bother with a lazy and tired girl?! But, when I've got my heels on, nails and hair done. And a cute but, appropriate, work outfit on I feel ready to conquer my day...scratch that! The world!

So my conclusion to this little experiment...All because you've entered a new phase of your life, doesn't mean you have to sacrifice what makes you feel good, just because you feel the need to fit in! If you're that eager to fit into a new clique try going back to high school.  The working world should be a place where you are learning new things all the time and building that foundation for what your passion will eventually lead you to.   Bottom line is when you look good you feel GREAT! When you feel great, anything is possible. So throw away the chunky heels, and the stiff navy blue pant suits and embrace your style.  It's a nice feeling to over hear co-workers talk about how you always look good. Besides, you never know who you might see that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment