Friday, November 13, 2009

"The 10 Women You'll Be Before You're 35"

by Alison James

It's so true how everyday and every experience transforms your thoughts and ideas into the kind of person you want to be.  Like watching a movie with Angelina Jolie might make you want to be a bad ass one day, or maybe after dating a country boy you all of a sudden want to be the next Faith Hill.   I recently read "The 10 Women You'll Be Before You're 35" by Alison James, and I found myself reflecting on many of her mentioned experiences as well as nervously anticipating the ones I couldn't relate to yet.

Although, it was a little fluffy and extreme at times James outlines the 10 different phases a woman must go through in order to achieve the confidence and moxie every girl is envious of in those women who just seem to "have it all."

In phases ranging from the New Graduate to the True You, James lays out the foundation of experience that every girl should and will go through. I found myself laughing through the chapter about the "Party Girl" phase as I could vividly remember wanting and having to go out EVERY night! What a difference now, now I look forward to Friday nights so I can happily lay on the couch and watch a movie with my blanket LoL!

But, what I could totally relate to in this present moment is the  Dollarless Diva stage and the Crisis Chick.  The dollarless diva is a girl who, as the title pretty much sums up, is dollarless.  With the funds running low, the dollarless diva tends to obsess over all kinds of money-making ideas (drug dealing anyone? lol)  And, the crisis chick a.k.a. the QUEEN of confusion... yeah... that pretty much sums me up in a nutshell right about now. But, according to James both phases are there to be conducive in preparing yourself for the next world of opportunity that awaits.  James, does a great job in telling you that you don't HAVE to get married just because it seems like your entire graduating class did and you don't HAVE to keep your job if you hate it.  The beauty of living is that we always have CHOICES and our way of thinking has more to do with what opportunities come our way, than what doesn't.

Either way, "The 10 Women You'll Be Before You're 35" is a fast, easy and entertaining read.  Especially if you happen to find yourself in a "Quarterlife Crisis."

No comments:

Post a Comment